Summer Snow is a new work by artist and choreographer Ella Rothschild created for the Batsheva Dance Company.
Set in a warehouse of emotions and objects, Summer Snow unravels a grotesque human image. The work consists of a series of surrealist scenes through which we discover the story of one character intertwined with the stories of others. The work raises questions regarding the physical and mental burdens that construct our reality and narrow our steps in it. What are the objects, memories, aspirations, and disappointments that activate us, and to which we cling – as individuals and as a group? What is left of all these when life is shaken to the core?
The occurrences on stage intersect with each other, constructing and deconstructing a web of relationships ranging from mundane to chaotic, from harmonious to turbulent. The enclosed space on the stage, built of shelves, creates a dense and claustrophobic world, an isolated island. The outside penetrates in various ways, and the explosive emotional tension quickly escalates into images of dark violence, loneliness, and insatiable emptiness.
The shelves, which once contained objects of functional and sentimental value, are now an empty reminder, a vague memory, of what will ultimately vanish.
* The stage work Summer Snow is the first installment of an art project that will include three artistic products: a dance piece for the stage, an audio-visual sphere in a designated website, and a book of drawings.
* The show contains nudity
- Original creation for Batsheva Dance Company co-produced with Mart Foundation
- Performed by Batsheva Dance Company dancers season 2021-2022:
Chen Agron, Billy Barry, Yael Ben Ezer, Matan Cohen, Ben Green, Chiaki Horita, Sean Howe, Chun Woong Kim, Londiwe Khoza, Shir Levy, Adrienne Lipson, Ohad Mazor, Eri Nakamura, Gianni Notarnicola, Igor Ptashenchuk, Nitzan Ressler, Yoni (Yonatan) Simon, Hani Sirkis, Amalia Smith
- Dramaturgy Tal Yahas
- Animation development of Puppets and Objects Gony Paz
- Costume design Inbal Ben Zaken
- Stage design and props Gadi Tzachor
- Lighting design Avi Yona Bueno (Bambi)
- עיצוב תלבושות ענבל בן זקן
- Original music Gershon Waiserfirer
- Additional Music A Year Without Summer, Peter Broderick / Rearrangement: Gershon Waiserfirer
- Puppets designers and makers Gili Kozin Ulmer and Yana Malyshev
- Text Ben Green
- Narration Londiwe Khoza
- World Premiere May 4, 2021, Suzanne Dellal Center, Tel Aviv